Thursday, June 20, 2013

My SAL Finish (YAY!), Tutorial ASAP!!!


Just a flying visit to share some exciting news: I finished my bookmark!!! I know the SAL's extended, but I really wanted to make the original deadline, and I managed to meet it just in the nick of time, LOL! The other good news is that I'm currently in the midst of writing up a comprehensive tutorial that I'll post up as soon as possible!!!

I tried something new to me, and I made a padded insert for the bookmark using two layers of quilt batting sewn together. This is a trick I stumbled upon while making ornaments this past Christmas, and while it is a little thick I'm pleased with it :)


The tutorial will include the padding, but you can easily skip it and make an ordinary flat bookmark, like the ones I made for my Grandparents. Truthfully, there's very little to it: sew the sides together, turn it out, and sew up the top! Three easy steps. But I know from painful experience that *so much* can go wrong, so I'm just writing down what I always wanted to know, more or less. I hope it will be helpful!

Confession: I was holding my breath the entire time I was doing the finishing, just *waiting* for something to go wrong. And things inevitably did, but thankfully they were minor and I managed to finagle them. As my Stitchy Guru Mother always says, "The vast majority of crafting is knowing how to fix mistakes!" So very true :)


Since it's time to go, I'll show you my back ;) But only if you can find it, LOL!

If there's a question you'd like to have answered in the tutorial, feel free to ask!

19 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, it turned out so well! ...and by the deadline :-) I love the backing fabric too.

Aurelia Eglantine said...

Thanks very much Lisa, it's funny - the fabric wasn't really what I had in mind when I bought it, but it's grown on me a lot - and a good thing too because I accidentally bought a whole meter instead of a half! :)

meggie said...

Hello

A beautiful bookmark, so prettily finished too with that lovely fabric.
I would love to stitch one of these.
Happ weekend (:

Lesley said...

beautifully finished . your book mark is so pretty.

Aurelia Eglantine said...

Meggie: Thank you! I hope you will try a bookmark of your own :) It's a practical way to finish off small bits of stitching! P.S. Did you mean that you would like the pattern? If so please e-mail me ;)

Lesley: Thank you so much :) I'm very happy you like it!

Cloud CouCou said...

Lovely to see the bookmark finished, it looks beautiful..such a pretty design.

Aurelia Eglantine said...

Thank you so much for your lovely comment!

Meari said...

Very pretty, although I'd skip the padding. I like thin bookmarks :) Congrats on your finish!

Melissa said...

Great job on your bookmark!

Karen said...

Your bookmark turned out beautifully and so perfectly finished!

Flossy Bobbin said...

that's beautiful, I love the colours and the finishing :)

Aurelia Eglantine said...

Wow, thank you all so very much for the lovely comments!

Meari: I normally like thin bookmarks too, but thought I'd try something a little different :) Next time I'll try one layer, LOL!

Melissa: Thank you :)

Karen: Aw, that is such a high compliment coming from you! You do such lovely finishing work :) This totally made my day!

Flossy: I'm so happy to see you back! I've missed you :) Thanks very much for your kind words!

Flossy Bobbin said...

I've missed you too! stitchy bug has been off and on for some time but think it's back to stay for a little while :)

Karen said...

It turned out great! I like the padding and wish I had done that with mine. Congrats on finishing it within the deadline.

Aurelia Eglantine said...

Flossy: YAY! I'm so very glad to hear that :) It's awful when your stitchy mojo goes AWOL for a while!!!

Karen: Thank you muchly!!! The grass must indeed always look greener from the other side, LOL, because I look at yours and wish *I* had done *that* ;) Your writing about Stitchy Goals lately has really inspired me to try and meet mine own too! It's a small thing, but it made me happy :)

Yvonne said...

Your bookmark looks very nice and the backing matches perfect.

I began to stitch with your bright colors, they look good, is why I fell for it to stitch.

Aurelia Eglantine said...

Thank you so very much Yvonne! I'm happy that you've chosen to stitch the original colourway too :)

CrazyStitcher said...

The finished bookmark looks gorgeous! I can't get over the backing fabric and how well it goes with the colours used in the Spring Garden design; such a good match.

Well done you! :-)

Aurelia Eglantine said...

Thanks so much CS!!! I'm very happy you like it too :) I was lucky with the fabric, I had something entirely different in mind and bought it rather sulkily as the best thing I could find to match - but I've really grown to love it, and I like the vintage look it gives my bookmark :)